Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Hitchcock factor

I was told one time that Alfred Hitchcock was in each of the movies he produced - never in a prominent role, but rather as an "extra," making a brief cameo, and then disappearing. I hear one time, in a film that didn't have extras, his "appearance" was in a fotograph. It was his trademark.
In any case, when I started writing, I wondered what my trademark should be. I decided that I would insert the name of one of my friends into the text as a minor character - not playing their real life counterpart, but rather as a minor character who just happens to have the same name. Several readers of the Narrows Escape, noticed that the name of one of my friends was indeed inserted into the final draft of the book. This friend wasn't aware that his name was in it until he came across it as he was reading his copy of the novel. He informed me afterwards that when he arrived at that point in the story, he "started laughing out loud." Luckily, he said he was honored to be part of the book.
I hope to continue the tradition in future books. Of course, if anyone would prefer not to be so honored, I will obviously honor any such request. Otherwise, be on the lookout. You never know who's name will show up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment