Sunday, July 14, 2013

The flood

If you have never experienced a flash flood, the picture in your mind, probably doesn't match reality. I always assumed that it would look like the cover of my book, The Narrows Escape. Yet in reality, you can't really see the water, only wood - though I imagine that would depend on where the flood was located. When the graphic designer designed my cover, I tried to explain this, but she explained that no one would know what it was if she did it that way. In any case, the picture I painted with words (in the book) is as accurate as I could get of what the flood looked like coming down the river. Naturally, we didn't stop to take a picture, but my uncle took some once everyone was on high ground:
 The Virgin River in Zion National Park looked like this for about an hour. Once most of the lumber was washed out, the river consisted of churning mud with the occasional log, bush, or tree:
After about three hours, the water level lowered significantly, but remained higher than normal for the remainder of the day. Here is a picture of Trevor, stranded on his island, showing how high the flood was at its highest peak:

More pictures to come in a future post!


No comments:

Post a Comment