Sunday, October 27, 2013

Doing research in the Narrows

After I had written a completed manuscript of The Narrows Escape, I decided that I needed to go back and do some research. After all, it would be embarrassing to print the book and have readers write to tell me that my details of the canyon were inaccurate. Therefore, on 7/9/04, my brother Greg, brother-in-law Mike, cousin Troy, and I hiked the Narrows again. We had planned on doing the whole hike. Unfortunately, we had promised our wives that we wouldn't hike it if there was a flash flood warning in effect. The rating was moderate - the same as it had been on the day we had encountered the original flood. So even though there wasn't a single cloud in the sky, we modified our plans. We hiked up from the bottom, and at the first sign of clouds, we hiked back out. I wasn't able to do as much research as I'd hoped, but at least I refreshed my mind of several details that I'd forgotten. As soon as I got back, I did another revision of my book. I also took several pictures. Here are the pictures I took of that trip:

Greg & Mike jumping off a boulder into a deep pool in the Narrows.

 Greg swimming across a pool, trying to keep his phone dry.

 A view of the cliff wall near the end of the Narrows.

 A view of the river along the Riverside Walk.

 A scenic view of the cliff walls inside the Narrows.

Mike, Troy, and I under an overhang inside the Narrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment