Sunday, March 2, 2014

2013 excursion

Although I have hiked the entire trail twice, I have only hiked sections of the trail (the bottom portion) since writing my first draft of The Narrows Escape. Although I tried to hike the entire trail again for research purposes, on each occasion the flash flood warning was "moderate" (the same classification as that of our ill-fated trip), so I limited my explorations to short excursions while keeping a sharp eye on the weather and key signs of flash floods. Here is a picture of a sign on the Riverwalk Trail that describes what to look for:

My latest venture into the Narrows was last summer (2013). I went with my brother-in-law Darin, my nephew Spencer, and my daughter Erika. It was the first time into the Narrows for each of them. We hiked up to Orderville Canyon, then we went up that branch for a little bit before hiking out. It was late in the season, so the water wasn't as high, but it did get up to our waists at one point. Here are some pictures from that trip:





No comments:

Post a Comment