Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

Twenty-one years ago, the real DTB Cousins spent one of their most unique Christmases ever. Darin was in Australia, Troy was in Japan, and Brad was in Chile. They were all serving missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was one of two Christmases I spent away from my family and friends in the beautiful country of Chile. Although I missed my family and our traditions, those experiences were priceless. I gained a greater appreciation of what is truly important in life. It wasn't the presents that I missed and thought about, it was the family traditions. My parents called on Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) so that I could have the opportunity to partially share that special time with my extended family, albeit long-distance. I also got to experience holiday traditions of another culture, gaining a greater love and appreciation for the people I was there serving. From letters I received from my cousins, I know that they had similar experiences. Merry Christmas everyone!

P.S. As I was looking at the pictures from that Christmas, I remembered that one of the gifts I received was the same shirt I was wearing on the Narrows hike 8 months later. It said: "Someone in California <3's me" and was a gift from Uncle Merlin and Aunt Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment