Wednesday, May 15, 2013

First anniversary

The Narrows Escape was published one year ago today. I watched the second copy come off the press - which was a pretty cool experience. Of course, the greatest feeling was knowing that I had finally accomplished a lifelong dream. From the moment I started writing the first draft of The Narrows Escape, until the time it got published was just over 11 years. There were many times I felt discouraged, and several others that I thought about giving up, but I didn't. With each rejection letter, I read through my manuscript again, making small changes here, and major one there. Finally, with the help of Kent Minson and many others, I achieved my goal.
Why was I so persistent? One reason was that I didn't want all that work to go to waste. Another was that I like to accomplish what I set out to do. But the force that drove me more than any other can be summed up by the words of the song "I Was Here" by Lady Antebellum:
Although I hope that I am leaving my mark in other aspects of my life as well, my goal as an author is to somehow touch the lives of others for good. If my books can make a positive difference in the life of even one reader, then all the work will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment